Request for Qualifications
Photovoltaic Solar Systems and Power Purchase Agreement
Mount Desert Island High School (MDIHS) is soliciting a Summary of Qualifications related to the installation of photovoltaic (PV) solar panels at the Mount Desert Island High School. Installed systems would be financed through a Power Purchase Agreement (PPA). The MDIHS anticipates that firms would receive Renewable Energy Credits from electrical generation, and the MDIHS would purchase the generated electricity.
Information on this RFQ is available on the A Climate to Thrive (ACTT) website at: http://www.aclimatetothrive.org/mdihs-rfq
Mount Desert Island High School is accepting qualifications for the installation of photovoltaic (PV) solar panels on the buildings and/or land currently owned by MDIHS located at 1081 Eagle Lake Road, Bar Harbor, ME 04609. As part of the project, the roof space and/or land would be leased to the developer. The high school is serviced by three-phase power. MDIHS anticipates that firms would receive Renewable Energy Credits from electrical generation, and MDIHS would purchase the generated electricity.
Installed systems would likely be financed through a power purchase agreement. Other financing options may be discussed in the RFQ response by the contractor. The contractor will be responsible for securing all necessary permits and approvals and the associated costs therein for the successful completion of the project in conformance with the Maine State and Bar Harbor Building Codes, and to interconnect the project with Emera Maine. The contractor will also be responsible for all maintenance of installed equipment.
Qualifications packages will be evaluated based on the documentation of the criteria that includes, but is not necessarily limited to or in the order of the following:
- The proposal’s responsiveness to the RFQ (format, capabilities, approach, clarity, etc.);
- Technical understanding of the project;
- Proposed implementation; and
- Relevant background and experience of personnel committed to the project.
It is MDIHS’s intent to use this qualification process to select one qualified firm to submit a proposal to MDIHS to narrow and define the scope of services that will be performed. The firm selected will be required to:
- Provide firm pricing based on pre-defined terms provided by MDIHS;
- Meet MDIHS insurance and bonding requirements;
- Provide details of the proposed PV installations, including size, locations, and power system information;
- Provide a detailed construction schedule.
2. QUALIFICATIONS SUBMITTAL
MDIHS is seeking qualifications for the installation of PV solar panels on the high school buildings and/or land owned by MDIHS or other entities. Qualified firms must be able to demonstrate experience in turnkey design, and building and maintenance of PV systems in similar situations in power purchase agreements. Firms will be expected to integrate school assets, the energy consumption needs of school facilities, solar tax credits, and any other subsidies or grants available to create a cost-effective proposal for consideration.
Interested firms shall submit:
- Sample agreement with terms and conditions (excluding final purchase price)
- Description of the type(s) of equipment that would be used at each site (manufacturer, model number, PV array size, etc) along with a list of locations (limited to 6) to include a client name, address, phone number, and email address of a contact person where the firm has used this equipment previously.
- List of all of the information the firm would require from the MDIHS to complete price proposals for the facility.
- References (limit 6 per respondent) of similar projects, preferably from other municipalities within Maine. Include client name, a brief summary of the work, and the name, address, and phone number, and email address of a responsible contact person. Respondents shall verify all contact information is correct at the time of submission. These may be, but are not required to be, the same as the references required above.
- Qualification data, including firm background, years in business, experience, key staff, and construction capabilities
Questions concerning this RFQ must be submitted in writing via email (questions will not be answered verbally) no later than July 15, 2018. Written inquiries should be emailed to:
Matt Haney, Principal
Mount Desert Island High School
Responses will be given by addendum that will be posted to our website. Final addendums will be issued no less than five days prior to the RFQ due date.
3. EVALUATION CRITERIA
MDIHS will review submitted qualifications and may request a meeting with the firm, either in person or virtually, to determine which firms are best suited to participate in the Request for Proposal process. Firms will be evaluated based on technical understanding of the project, its purpose, and scope. This shall include the evaluation of the proposed solar generation equipment and the scope and assessment of the proposed installation. Qualified firms will be asked to narrow and define the scope of services that will be performed, and to identify the most desirable locations for PV solar panel installation.
4. RIGHT TO REJECT RFQ PROPOSALS AND WAIVE INFORMALITIES
MDIHS reserves the right to reject any or all RFQ proposals for any reason, to waive any nonmaterial irregularities or information in any RFQ, and to accept or reject any item or combination of items.
Please submit one original, four hard copies, and one digital copy of the RFQ, for a total of six sets. RFQ’s and copies shall be clearly labeled with RFQ title, date, and firm name. Submit by Wednesday, August 15, 2018 to:
Matt Haney, Principal
Mount Desert Island High School
1081 Eagle Lake Road Bar Harbor, ME 04609